Monday, October 20, 2008

More Maine

Another beautiful day in Maine!
First we went to Sand Beach to look for shells for the girls! Not too many sand beaches on this rocky coast! It was cold, but the sun was shinning and warmed things up. The sandy beach had rocks on either end.
Next we went back to Thunder Hole. It was much more awesome today. The tide was too high yesterday! Today it was "booming" away! (First picture in the hole when the tide is out...then second picture..."BOOM" in comes the tide to fill the hole!)
From Thunder Hole, we hiked along a trail that follows the coastline. It was so pretty. I felt like just sitting in the sun and watching the ocean all day! Most of you know, I am not an ocean girl...I am more a mountain girl. However, in Maine you get the best of both worlds! The trail was like something from the mountains of North Carolina, but you'd come to a clearing and "POP" below you is the ocean! Despite the cold I found several pretty wildflowers. I also saw more beautiful fall colors!
Next we drove to Bar Harbor. We did a little shopping...what bargains! All the stores are closing for the winter and everything was at least 50% off or more! We got the kids several little treats and spent less then we planned. We also saw many cool things like this lobster place...They catch them, bring them in, and serve them up at this dock restaurant! The things hanging from the walls are buoys for the lobster pots. Each fisherman has his own color scheme, so he knows which pots are his! (Here is what the pots or traps look like. The lobsters swim in a hole on the side to eat some food and then they can't get out!) I even got to pretend to be the boat captain!
Next we went to a Whale Museum. If money grew on trees we would have gone on a whale watching boat tour...but we only found leafs on trees, so we were not able to go on a boat. So next best thing, we went to this little museum. It had some interesting things including this jaw bone of whale! Yikkes!
Finally, we drove to the other side of the island to see a lighthouse. I love lighthouses! We could not go in, but we got to hike all around it. It is right on a cliff overlooking a harbor. It is called the Bass Harbor Lighthouse. It was so pretty here. Stephen and I sat on the rocks and just watched the waves crash the rocks below us! This is the view from where we sat!
So, another day over! Tomorrow Stephen has to go to work. :( So, I will be sitting in the hotel room reading and watching movies. I am sad our fun traveling days are over but it is supposed to rain tomorrow and dare I even say it...SNOW on Wednesday! Yikes! I guess I will be nice and warm in the hotel room! I am just so grateful for the wonderful weather we've had the last couple days during our exploring!


2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh it is so beautiful! I am totally jealous. I'm so glad you're having a good time. You deserve it!!!

Franklin Fam said...

I am jealous too.... you are so lucky to have had a great vacation with your hubby. You deserve it. I am so glad that you had time together.